August 11, 2014

Giving School A Little "Boost"

It's that time of year again!  That's right, summer is almost over and the kids are heading back to school.  I don't know about you but I have had a fabulous summer with the little prince.  He made the choice early on that he didn't want to go to camp.  My first thought was "what exactly am I supposed to do with him all summer long?" followed by my second thought "great, that's money in my pocket".  The truth is we had a great time.  Besides the money that was saved {it should be against the law for parents to pay $230 a week for camp} I was able to truly enjoy some down time this summer.  I took it easy and didn't worry about much except trying to make memories with my kid.  Isn't that what summer is all about!?!

To get ready for the school year, I am joining my Silhouette blogging buddies for this month's challenge - SCHOOL.  I haven't participated in a challenge since our Organization challenge in January when I created my Simple Project Calendar, so I am excited to be included this month along with the other 17 bloggers who have come up with some amazing projects -- the creativity abounds with these ladies!

Back to School: Printable Book Cover Labels Back to School: Personalized Bag Tags DIY Chalkboard Vinyl Calender  Stamped Lunch Notes with the Silhouette - August Challenge Personalized Classroom Sign for the Teacher Apple earrings for that special teacher School Supply Organizer (Teacher Gift) Easy Vinyl Embellished Bookmarks Chalkboard Place Cards Fabric Tear Away Notepad LEGO inspired Printable Backpack Tags {FREE PRINTABLE} First Day of School Photo Prop Back to School: Personalized Notebooks Back to School: Geometric Paper Bag Textbook Covers Easy Back to School Teacher Gift & Printable Frozen Inspired Pencil Toppers First Day of School Photo Keepsake Giving School A Little Boost

My school project is thanks to my best customer who needed help getting the school ready for the new year.  She was given the task of covering the school walls to promote the yearly fundraiser -- Boosterthon.  She asked if I would help her and I was happy to do so.  This year's theme is music inspired and she decided that she wanted "iPods".  I decided since it was for Boosterthon, the name would change just a little.  A trip to Hobby Lobby for supplies and I was on my way to help give the school a little boost!


I started by creating a template that I would use for all five.  




Using an exacto knife I cut out the the sections that I needed then traced the top portion.

Middle circle to be cut out

Circle cut out

I used a silver piece of posterboard to create the bottom circle.  I cut a smaller circle out of the middle of the larger one so the colored posterboard can be seen.


Circles glued in place.  Things are coming together well.



I guess I should explain Boosterthon a little for those who may know nothing about it.  Each year the theme changes but the premise remains the same -- teaching the children through five different character qualities.  Each character quality is assigned a fictional person (hence the faces on each).  So using the posters that she was given, I cut out each person to be placed on each board.

New name needed -- iBoost!  Cool!

Now it's time to put my Silhouette to work for all of the words and shapes that will be needed to bring this project to a close.

Each character quality is "highlighted" in green

Using the welding tool on the Silhouette software I was able to cut out each word as a whole.  This technique was a true lifesaver!  It would have taken me twice as long if I had to glue each letter individually.  The headphones were cut by my customer using the schools new VariQuest machine.  They are attached to each iBoost using black paracord and tape.









It looks awesome!  The school is ready to welcome teachers, students and parents alike on the first day.

Would you like more Back-to-School inspiration?  Check out these projects from my Silhouette blogging buddies.  Be sure to hop over and give them some bloggy luv and let them know I sent you!  

1. Weekend Craft // 2. From Wine to Whine // 3. Life After Laundry // 4. Adventures in All Things Food // 5. Dragonfly & Lily Pads // 6. Sowdering About // 7. The Kim Six Fix // 8. Architecture of a Mom // 9. greylustergirl.com // 10. Please Excuse My Craftermath // 11. Simply Kelly Designs // 12. My Paper Craze // 13. Sweet Tea & Saving Grace // 14. Black and White Obsession // 15. Ginger Snap Craft // 16. It Happens in a Blink // 17. Creative Ramblings // 18. Little Blue's Room

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love how these turned out. What a great idea!

Trisha D. said...

Wow, such a unique project for the school! Such a cute idea to use the Ipod theme!!

Angela @Little Blue's Room said...

Thanks Kelly and Trisha! The iPod idea was all my customer/friend. She knew what she wanted she just needed a little help making it happen. :-)

Unknown said...

Wow! This is awesome. Your friend is so lucky to have you to design this for her. I love it!
Glenna @ My Paper Craze

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...