July 22, 2013

Chore Chart

As a mom, I sometimes feel like all that I do is talk.  Especially when it comes to getting my son to do what he's supposed to around the house.  I was beginning to feel like a 'Nagging Nancy'.  The constant "reminding" was causing both of us to feel very frustrated.  I knew when I found myself behaving like a person that had recently been possessed that I needed to make a change.  It was time to teach family responsibility and independence in a way that kept my talking to a minimum, gave him a sense of pride in what he could do and put me back on the 'you are a good mommy' list {if only in my own head}.

How do you do that, you ask?  A Chore Chart.  Yes, please!





For this project I wanted something simple that he could look at and easily handle himself without coming to me.  IKEA carries a magnetic board ($12.99) that would be perfect for this.  My boys and I love that place so we decided to make it a date.  To IKEA we go!

On a trip to the dollar store for something completely unrelated, I found these awesome magnetic frames.  BINGO!  This would work well with pictures of the chores inside of them.  I almost couldn't wait to get home to create them!






I used painters tape to divide the board into two spaces, vinyl for the title and full page clear labels to create the 'sun' {morning chores} and 'moon/stars' {evening chores} and it was finished and ready for use.

I still, on occasion, need to give him a gentle reminder of what needs to be done but his chore chart has given us both a way to relax and get back to enjoying what we love most...just being mother and son!

5 comments:

Leah Elizabeth Locklear (WonderMOMents) said...

Love this!! What a great idea! I see this being the way my son and I go over his chores in the near future, once he is a little older. I'm glad you have gotten over your possession period haha... we have all been there! Great post ~Leah~

Little Blue's Room said...

Hey Leah! Thanks. This has truly made my life so much easier, though I have to be honest that since we have been in summer mode we've let it slide a bit but we are trying to get back into the swing of things since my son will head back to school in the next few weeks. Hahaha...thanks, I'm glad I'm over my possession too!

Being Reese 2 said...

I love Ikea! I grew up in Germany so when I got back stateside I figured I'd never have the chance to wander the hallowed halls of IKEA again. Imagine my surprise when we moved to Charlotte and discovered there was an IKEA 20 minutes from our home. Score!

I love your chore chart. Very creative! It definitely beats having to constantly remind/badger the little ones to do their chores. I'll have to remember this for when Jasmine gets old enough.

Thanks for sharing!

Little Blue's Room said...

Oh Reese, I was SO happy when I realized that there was an IKEA in Charlotte (though my ride to get there is a little longer than yours) because back home in Virginia I lived 10 minutes away and went there ALL the time! I love that place. The chart has truly been a lifesaver for me and the little prince. He hates {really hates} for me to tell him things over and over again and I feel the EXACT same way about saying things over and over again...LOL. So this way, I give the gentle reminder in the morning to look at his chart and I leave the rest up to him. Such a good feeling....for both of us!

Mrs. Pancakes said...

i thought this was such an awesome idea...and i am sure kids will eat it up too. something i have to keep in mind when my son gets a little older enough to do chores! thanks for sharing!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...